Fundraising FAQs

Got a question about fundraising for the Huntington’s Disease Association? When you register your event you will receive our fundraising guide which contains lots of information and advice on how to make your event safe and legal. If you have any further questions please contact our fundraising team either by email [email protected] or phone 0151 331 5445


Planning your fundraising event


Do I need insurance?

For some fundraising events, you will need to have public liability insurance. Many venues already have this, so we suggest you check with them first. The Huntington’s Disease Association cannot accept liability for fundraising events that aren’t organised by us.

Do I need a licence to hold a street collection?

It is illegal in the UK to hold a street collection without obtaining a Street Collection Licence from your local authority (council). To find out about street collections in your area, contact your local council or type in ‘Street Collection Licence’ into the search facility on your local authority website.

To collect money on private property, such as a supermarket or pub, you must get the permission of the owner or manager first. It may help if you are wearing an HDA t-shirt or sweatshirt and have an official collection tin, which we can provide. Other items such as HDA leaflets, balloons and stickers will also be useful to have with you to hand out to people as they donate. Get in touch to order your materials.

Can I hold a raffle or lottery?

There are three types of raffle: small, private and public. For small raffles at a one-off event where the raffle is not the main focus of the event, you do not need a licence. For a private raffle, such as one you may hold through your workplace or club, you do not need a licence. A public raffle, which is a raffle open to a wide audience over a long period of time, will need to be registered with your local authority (council). For more information and to ensure you stick to the law, please visit - or telephone 0121 230 6720.

Can I sell alcohol at my event?

You are not allowed to sell alcohol at an event unless the premises have a licence. You will normally need a premises licence in order to hold a raffle with alcohol as prizes too. We recommend that you check with the Gambling Commission before your event.

Can I take photos at my event?

Yes, but always seek permission from people if you are going to take their photograph, particularly if you plan to publicise this in any way. If you are taking photographs of children, make sure you have their parent or guardian’s permission first.

Using our logo

We have a logo for all our supporters to use on your fundraising materials. To get this logo you must register your event and we will then send it out to you.

Can you help me promote my fundraising?

We get lots of requests to promote fundraising activities from our supporters and we are happy to help out whenever we can. We can promote your activity on our social media channels if your fundraising has been covered in the press. You can also promote your fundraising on the community section of our Facebook page

If you want us to share photographs we will need permission from everyone in the photo that they are happy for their image to be used in this way. You can download our photo consent form and ask them to complete it and then return the form to us with the photo.

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a scheme where charities can claim back tax you have already paid on your donation. Please ensure your supporters and donors include their full name, home address and postcode on your sponsorship form or tick the gift aid box on JustGiving or Virgin Money Giving in order for us to claim an extra 25p for every £1 raised. Please note that work addresses will not be accepted.

We will not to pass any personal details on to third parties. If you have sponsor forms please return them to us after your event so we can claim the gift aid; if you have set up online donation forms such as JustGiving or Virgin Money Giving you don’t need to do anything further.

How do I pay my money in?

Thank you for raising funds for our work.

You can send funds to us by:

  • Cheque: Make your cheque payable to the Huntington’s Disease Association and send it to us at
    Suite 24, Liverpool Science Park, IC1
    131 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool L3 5TF
  • Credit or debit card: you can make a payment over the phone by calling 0151 331 5445
  • Bank transfer: please contact our fundraising team for our bank details if you would like to make a payment by bank transfer

Please don’t send cash in the post.

Our promise to you

Below you can see our fundraising policies that layout how fundraising works with the Huntington's Disease Association, what we promise you as our fundraisers and what procedure to take if you have a fundraising complaint. 

Fundraising with the Huntington's Disease Association

Supporter charter

How to make a complaint

For any further information on our fundraising policies please contact [email protected] or call 0151 331 5444.