Benefits and finance

Benefits Adviser

Web: Benefits Adviser

An on-line tool to help you find out what benefits you could get. Carers and disability benefits

This government website gives excellent information on all benefits available to disabled people.


Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Web: DLA Tel: 0845 7123 456 Textphone: 0845 7224 433

You can only make a new claim for DLA if you’re claiming for a child under 16. Anyone over 16 must apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead of DLA.

Winter Fuel

Web: Winter Fuel Payment Tel: 08459 15 15 15 Textphone: 0845 601 5613

You could get a tax-free payment to help pay your heating bills if you were born before 5th January 1952.

Help with Health Costs

Web: NHS Help with heath costs

NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS)

If you have a low income, you may be able to get help with NHS costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS). The scheme covers:

  • Prescription costs
  • Dental costs
  • Eye Care costs
  • Healthcare travel costs

For the Low Income Scheme please call 0300 330 1341

Prescription Costs: Prescription Prepayment Certificates (PPC) are available in England and can save you money if you require 4 or more prescription items in a 3 months.

For the Prescription Prepayment Scheme please call 0300 330 1341.

Medical Exemption: People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions. Huntington’s Disease does not qualify people for free prescriptions just by having the diagnosis but some people will qualify under this point “A continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person”.

For queries about medical exemption certificates call 0300 330 1341.

Money Advice Service

Tel: 0300 500 5000 Web:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

To start a claim for PIP

Web: PIP Tel: 0845 850 3322 (General enquiries) Tel: 0800 917 2222 (Make a claim) Textphone: 0800 917 7777

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill health or disability if you are aged 16 to 64. Whether you qualify and how much you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

Carer’s Allowance

Carers Allowance is a weekly payment to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. You need to be aged over 16 and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them. Carers Allowance is taxable and can affects your other benefits.

Tel: 0845 608 4321 Textphone: 0845 604 5312 Web: Carer’s Allowance

Lasting Power of Attorney

A lasting Power if Attorney is a legal document that lets you appoint people to make decisions on your behalf. There are two types of lasting Power of Attorney:

  • Health and Welfare
  • Property and Financial Affairs

Web: Lasting Power of Attorney

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you are ill or disabled Employment Support Allowance (ESA) offers you:

  • Financial support if you are unable to work
  • Personalised help so that you can work if you are able

Web: ESA Tel: 0800 055 6688 Textphone: 0800 023 4888

Disability Rights UK

Web: Disability Rights UK

Disability Rights UK provide information on social security benefits and tax credits to disabled people, their families, carers and professional advisers. A range of fact sheets are available.



Turn2us is a charity enabling people to access information on benefits and grants available to them from both statutory and voluntary organisations. In many cases, applications for support can be made directly from the website. A benefits calculator is available.

Disability Grants


Set up by a mother of a disabled teenager, it’s a directory of grant making charities and trust funds for disabled people and carers

Financial Impact of Depression and Grief

Web: article

Photobar marathon Photobar small virgin Photobar small justgiving Photobar hdyo
Photobar small appg Photobar skydive