Financial support



People who are showing the symptoms of Huntington’s disease may be entitled to a number of benefits.
Here are some good places to look for further information:

  • Services such as Turn2us give valuable tools for looking at what people can apply for.
  • Local benefits services, disability services and Citizen’s Advice may have capacity to help with form filling if it’s needed.
  • The government website has extensive information on benefits for disabled adults, children and carers.

Council tax


A full Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

You’ll get 25% off your bill if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either:

  • you live on your own
  • no-one else in your home counts as an adult, this includes “people with a severe mental impairment” so some people with Huntington’s may fall into this category.

You’ll usually get a 50% discount if no-one living in your home, including you, counts as an adult.  For more information see